In this digital world contemporary learning methods are getting replaced with most modern digital learning techniques. The technologists working in the education field has come out with a right blend of technologies. Now the benefit of technology is not simply replicating existing educational practices. It becomes combining ideas and product technologies in a right manner and encouraging students to engage in deeper cognitive activities.
One of the powerful uses of technology in education is to tailor instructions to students individual learning needs. Technology can give visual representation of high-order concepts with the use of graphics and simulations. That means you can bring real-world applications right into the class room. A major tool that can make classrooms digitalized one is a smart board.
With the introduction of smartboard, students are getting more opportunity to interact with their colleagues and their educators. Classrooms are becoming more interactive. Use of smart board in classroom begins with the educator preparing lessons to support curriculum activities. The features available in the smart board help a teacher in creating a collaborative learning environment. This thereby helps the teacher to transform from the role of facilitator to that of a learner. One of the main goals of the use of technology in class room is to allow students to experiment with real world problems, giving different scenarios to find solution and help them in coming out with the best possible solution. In this way, teachers are not only teaching the curriculum oriented subjects, but also the use of latest technologies.
Who don’t want to study in smart class rooms? The use of notebooks, pens and pencils have been replaced by electronic note books, smart phones, tablets and other digital devices in the class room. Each technology has its own advantages and disadvantages. Likewise, use of digital devices like white boards in the class rooms has its own merits and demerits.
Some of the advantages and disadvantages of smart boards in class rooms are as follows:
– Note making becomes really easy. Use of keyboard helps students to type faster and save it in a digital format.
– Saving notes in digital format helps students to retrieve it in an easy way. Most of the notes and assignments will be written and saved in a given format and this reduces the chance of losing it.
– Introduction of latest word processing technologies help to draw graphs and charts very easy.
– Access to internet helps in collecting more information and doing home work without wasting much time.
– E-library eliminates carrying many numbers of heavy text books and note books.
– Decline of penmanship
– Less opportunity to write letters and books by hand
– Online access can give freedom to illegitimate sites.
– Limit the freedom for free thinking
– Life becomes mechanical
There are disadvantages, however advantages are overweighing it. Digital class rooms have become more popular in education arena as it fits perfectly with today’s curriculum in providing students with the information literacy skills they need to become a tech-savvy 21st century citizen.